I have posted many times over the past few years about Project Skyscraper, which then became Collaboration for Revit (C4R). Having used the cloud service in beta, I was keen to get it going on some live projects. Unfortunately, Collaboration for Revit was only available in the USA…
Until now, that is! Check out this press release for details on the global launch. Quote:
Released and available in North America only since December 7, 2014, Collaboration for Revit will be available for commercial global use as of January 7, 2016.
|Autodesk A360 Collaboration for Revit is a service that works with Revit software to connect project teams with centralized access to BIM project data in the cloud. Image courtesy of Autodesk
I, for one, am very excited about this. I have been involved in at least one geographically distributed vanilla Revit Server setup, and I think that the necessity to have ‘my IT people talk to your IT people to set up a DMZ between our VPNs’ is a bit counter-productive. In these situations, the global availability of C4R will really shine. Now, firms will be able to spin up a C4R instance very quickly and get working together, on real projects and in real-time.
You can hear Ralph Bond interviewing Sylvia Knauer on the Autodesk AEC Channel Podcast here in this mp3.
Between this global launch of Collaboration for Revit, and the improvements in the Glue – Navisworks connection in 2016 products, my Federated Model Streamer concept is one step closer to reality 🙂
BIM360 Docs site is now live at:
Previously known as Project Alexandria, the official media release can be read here. And the ‘announcement’ video can be viewed here:
Interestingly, there is some talk of a completely free offering, after the free preview:
Autodesk is now accepting reservations for a limited release and free preview version of Autodesk BIM 360 Docs at www.bim360.com/docs. The product is expected to come to market in early 2016. In addition to the free, limited version of BIM 360 Docs, Autodesk will offer the option to subscribe to additional capabilities that scale to meet more advanced needs of construction firms. The product will initially be available in English only.
Click Reserve your spot here and then fill out the form if you want to get access to the Preview:
- Publish and manage all project document file types in a single system with support for unlimited users and unlimited storage.
- Maintain control and secure project data with folder-level, permission-based access.
- Easily extract and organize individual project documents from multi-sheet files & 3D models, featuring title block OCR for organization.
- Ensure that the entire project team is working with the correct documents with version control and online/offline access on mobile devices.
- View 2D PDF drawings with optimized zoom capabilities to quickly review details.
Create and share markups for collaborative design reviews with the team.
- View and navigate 3D models, access object properties, use sectioning tools and explore models with gravity-based walk throughs.
- Quickly navigate between 2D plans and 3D models on any device, without having to close the viewer.