In previous versions of Revit, a common workaround to generate some ‘depth’ in elevation views was to use transparent mass planes. This created an effect like this:
Here is what was actually happening behind the scenes:
However, something has been changed in Revit 2012. This no longer works properly. In fact, you CAN open up a 2011 file that has the effect in 2012 – and the effect will remain. However, if you purge the file, it simply disappears! See example video of this ‘Disappearing Act’ and file download link below:
The only way I have been able to retrospectively ‘add’ the effect to 2012 is:
- Open a 2011 file that has the effect.
- Rename any relevant masses or materials in the 2012 file so that you can cleanly ‘paste’ the 2011 mass.
- Copy one of the mass planes from the 2011 file and paste it into the 2012 file.
- This ‘might’ work for you…
- You can’t EVER purge this file in 2012, or the effect will break.
If you want to follow the discussions on this issue, here are some forum links:
Let me know if you have any comments or workarounds for this.