Interesting little release by Dimitar Venkov on Github a few months ago. It is essentially a Python shell for Navisworks 2016. You install by unzipping as per instructions below. You may have heard about RevitPythonShell, but obviously this one is for Navis.
To install, simply extract the zip archive in the below folder:
%APPDATA%\Autodesk Navisworks Manage 2016\Plugins
You can read more about the features at the main page here.
- interactive IronPython interpreter for exploring the API
- with syntax highlighting and autocompletion (in the console only)
- based on the IronLab project
- batteries included! (Python standard library is bundled as a resource in the
- full access to the .NET framework and the Navis API
- configurable “environment” variables that can be used in your scripts
- save “external scripts” for reuse and start collecting your awesome hacks!
- run scripts at Navisworks startup
And some example/s are in a GitHub folder:
The R3 (latest) version is a bit hard to find, but here is the link:
Strangely, the main download page here still links to the R2 version… but they are genuinely different, as shown below:
If you have a Navisworks crashing or Navisworks not starting up problem, you might try resetting Navisworks settings.
- Open Windows Explorer
- Type %appdata% in the address bar
- Rename the relevant Navisworks folder here with a .bak extension
- Start Navisworks
Note: You can actually get to the options from the start menu, even if Navis won’t launch…
There are other places that Navis may stash some settings. You may also want to check out:
You can check out the main points at:
The feature that is invaluable to modern site-to-coordination workflows is the BIM 360 integration:
Here is a few quick tips that I had sitting in draft post:
- To delete lots of views quickly, select and then press Delete key. Do not try to right-click.
- To combine multiple Clash Groups in the Clash Detective, select the groups, Ungroup (sub-clashes will be selected by default), then Re-group..
- To delete multiple empty clash groups, drag a clash into one of them. Then, Select All the Groups and you can Explode Group
- If you Append an NWD, the views with saved Hide/Required and Material Overrides will import “correctly” with these settings (but a Viewpoints XML cannot import these element hide and colour settings)
- Use Properties+ … it is simply the fastest way to test and build Search Sets
This hotfix (SP4 HF1) fixes problems when working with Merged Models from BIM 360 Glue:
IFC version 4 (IFC4) is now supported.
Here is a very basic how-to on the steps to take to set this up in iConstruct 2016, running on Navisworks 2016:
- iConstruct -> IFC Configuration
- Select top node of an NWD
- Get NW Props
- Drag and Drop to set mappings
- Save Template